Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Barometer of my spiritual health

I have recently been accused of practicing on a lower level of bhakti, adhama bhakti, desiring some profit by engaging in motivated devotional service.

I have been reminded that pure devotional service is defined by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and repeated by Srila Rupa Goswami as:

anyabhilasita-sunyam
jnana-karmady-anavrtam
anukulyena krsnanu-
silanam bhaktir uttama


"When first-class devotional service develops, one must be devoid of all material desires, knowledge obtained by monistic philosophy, and fruitive actions. The devotee must constantly serve Krsna favorably, as Krsna desires." (Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya 19.167)

I looked up this verse in CC and eagerly read the purport. Srila Prabhupada explains that Krishna desires that we think of Him always (BG 9.34 and 18.65) and that we preach Lord Krishna's glories, without any selfish motives.

In further purports in this blissful succession of verses wherein Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu explains the science of Krishna consciousness to Srila Rupa Goswami, Srila Prabhupada explains that even practicing devotional service with the desire to get out of the material world is "motivated" and not pure.

Back to the accusation that I am practicing on a low level of bhakti.

I was recently sitting across from a devotee during lunch prasadam at the temple. I asked him if he knew of any devotee who was good at carpentry work to help convert the Krishna Culture Festival Tour bus. He named several experts who charge only so much per hour. I then clarified that I am volunteering my time and that I was looking for volunteers, who might volunteer a couple of hours on a weekend, to which he responded "Oh, I don't know about that. Good luck."

Is this a sign of the times? In general, volunteering my time for devotional service without anything in exchange may be a barometer of  my spiritual health, especially given that I belong to a movement that professes to practice and give to others the science of pure devotional service, Krishna consciousness.

How often do I volunteer my time for Krishna without any selfish motive? That means no money, no recognition, nothing in return but the satisfaction of engaging in an activity that I know pleases my spiritual master and Krishna?

Another purport I recently read in the Bhagavad-gita explained that a devotee may work all day in a factory or at a business, and at the end of the day he gives everything he earns for the benefit of the Krishna consciousness movement, for spreading Krishna consciousness. Such a devotee is as good as a sannyasi.

Barometer of my spiritual health:

- How much time do I volunteer for Krishna?
- How much of my hard-earned money do I give to projects that spread Krishna consciousness?
- How much of my day do spend absorbing my mind in thinking of Krishna?

man-manah bhava mad bhakto...



(And when will I give up this illusion of "my time," "my money," "my mind"? - it all belongs to You, Krishna.)